The purchasing and procurement department of a construction company plays a crucial role in supplying materials for the company’s projects. In this sense, its task is not only to provide the company with materials but also to ensure they have the appropriate quality, competitive prices, and, importantly, are delivered on time.
The collaborative and scalable nature of Building Information Modeling (BIM) methodology allows purchasing departments to have precise projections regarding material procurement requirements. The goal is to reduce costs and provide sufficient time to search for or negotiate suitable materials.
It is important to remember that the implementation of BIM is a digital process involving the creation and management of digital representations of a construction project. Thanks to these characteristics, with BIM models, the purchasing department can:
- Develop budgets aligned with the reality of the project.
- Have a projection of the materials to be used, improving the time to search for or negotiate cost-effective quality alternatives.
- Enhance supplier management.
- Reduce costs and waste by purchasing only what is necessary.
- Improve inventory management throughout the construction process.
- Identify losses or leaks of materials.
It’s worth noting that various BIM software includes modules that are highly useful for efficient inventory management throughout the project.
As you can see, the adoption of BIM methodology in purchasing departments offers numerous advantages, ranging from better accuracy in estimates and budgets to optimization in the procurement process. Don’t wait any longer; contact Acero Estudio and request more information about our BIM Consulting services that will help improve the efficiency of your procurement processes.